Gymnastics first appeared at North as a women’s sport during the 1922-1923 school year. Like many sports for women, it was part of the Girls Athletic Association (GAA), which provided intramural activities for girls. Gymnastics lasted exactly two years, through the 1923-1924 school year. It was not mentioned again in the school yearbook until the 1949-1950 yearbook. It vanished again, reappearing in the 1952-1953 school year. Again, it was short lived, lasting through the 1953-1954 school year. However, gymnastic enthusiasts did not give up. It appeared again for the1958-1959 school year and then again for the 1960-1961 and 1961-1962 school years, vanished and reappeared in the 1964-1965 school year. Beginning in the 1967-1968 school year, gymnastics has been around in some form at North. Gymnastics became sponsored by the Minnesota State High School League in the 1974-1975 school year.
Since the mid 1990’s, North has fielded a combined team with Henry. Since the 2003-2004 school year, North, Henry and Edison have fielded a combined team. Because practices are at Edison, North has had no participants since the 2002-2003 school year.
Coaches of the teams have included: Pete Sovell (2003-2004 through present), Kristen Bury (1993-1994 to 2002-2003) Rodney Lossow (1991-1992 and 1992-1993), Kathy Lachinski (1989-1990), Terry Kier (1988-1989), Kathy Lachinski (1986-1987 to 1987-1988) Margaret Yeboah (1983-1984 to 1984-1985), Ellen Bielejeski (1980-1981 to 1981-1982) Julie Simmons (1975-1977). Pre MSHSL coaches included Shirley Keating (1967-1968 to 1972-1973), Marilyn Twining (1964-1965), Maroa Tracy (1958-1959, 1960-1961, 1961-1962) and Esther Bank (1949-1950). No records have been found as to who coached during the years that are not listed.
1500 James Ave. North Minneapolis, MN 55411
Telephone: 612.668.1700 | Fax: 612.668.1770