PSEO (Postsecondary Enrollment Options)
PSEO allows sophomores, juniors and seniors in high school to take college courses at a college. Juniors and Seniors may take a wide range of classes and Sophomores may take career and tech-ed courses.
Courses are taught by a college instructor. Courses can have many formats: face-to-face in a classroom, online, or a combination of the two. You can go part-time, and take some classes at North and some at the college or go full-time, and take all your classes at the college. To learn more information please make an appointment with your school counselor.
While PSEO is available to students in 10th – 12th grade, requirements vary per grade level.
PSEO as a 10th Grade Student
Postsecondary Enrollment Options for 10th-grade students interested in Career and Technical Education July 15, 2012 - New legislation passed under Minnesota Statutes, section 124D.09, allows eligible 10th-grade students to enroll in one Career and Technical Education (CTE) course. In order to be eligible, a 10th-grade student must have taken the 8th-grade MCA reading test in the 8th-grade and have met the composite proficiency level of “meets or exceeds”. If the student meets this standard, they may be eligible to enroll in CTE courses, as identified by the Minnesota State College and University System (MNSCU) if they meet the specific course requirements and pre-requisites of the CTE courses(s) they wish to enroll in. This option is open to Minnesota public school students.
Students interested in PSEO for their 10th grade year should follow the same process as 11th and 12 grade students. Be sure to meet with your counselor well before your expected enrollment.
Tips to remember when interested in applying for PSEO
1. Students discuss PSEO plans with high school counselor.
2. The school counselor will need to sign the planning sheet and state form for PSEO.
3. Students then apply directly to the individual school.
4. Students should remember that they must meet high school graduation requirements.
5. Among courses taken at Post Secondary Education include the equivalent of:
• two years of English
• two years of Social Studies
• one year of Math
• one year of Science
• one year of Physical Education (if not taken in 9th and 10th)
• one year of Health (if not taken in 9th and 10th)
• one year of Art (if not taken in 9th and 10th)
• enough electives to meet the 64.5 credits for graduation
The programs or courses will be regular post-secondary offerings and students will be expected to successfully complete the same work as their post-secondary "peers." Courses completed under PSEO become part of the student’s permanent record and are used in determining grade point average and class rank.
For more detailed information about PSEO go to: http://readysetgo.state.mn.us/RSG/PSEO/index.html
Your counselor will have the best information for you so make your appointment today!
1500 James Ave. North Minneapolis, MN 55411
Telephone: 612.668.1700 | Fax: 612.668.1770